How We Vote: Your Guide to Push DAO's Voting Processes

Here, you’ll find an explainer of Push DAO’s current voting process, which is also accessible via Charmverse.

Push DAO’s Voting Processes

The below is live on Charmverse and on the Forum. We worked out the kinks of improving voting processes both when I started and through the first 3 votes. We will also treat this, because it’s logical and needed, as a living process.

If you’re looking for how we vote, then you’re in the right place! Below we outline the voting process and methodology for Push DAO. :bell::purple_heart:

Why do we vote?

If we don’t vote on decisions made as a community, we aren’t a DAO.

A DAO is a community that decides, collectively, what to move forward.

Each vote proves to the world, more and more, that we can do this and we will continue to do this.

Who can propose a vote?

Any community member or contributor can create a proposal in the Push forum, and any proposal that passes all of the needed phases may be brought to a vote. You can view a full breakdown of the Push Improvement Proposal process here.

The Push DAO Council can also fast-track votes when a 4/5 consensus is reached to do so.

When do we vote?

Votes are taken for almost any decision affecting the DAO’s budget that is not day-to-day or a tier-one event appearance agreed upon by the council and involving one or more members of the council. In those rare cases, the council consensus is the vote.

Votes are always taken when a proposal involves funds that are not already earmarked for a subDAO’s operations, aka, included in specific line items in the proposal for a subDAO which has passed via a vote.

Votes are always taken when a proposal involves a partnership with a new organization and the council cannot reach a rough consensus on it alone.

Votes are always taken when a community member or council member wants to open a new subDAO or workstream but both can only be opened with at least one council member’s backing.

What’s the template for a vote?

The template for votes/proposals is highlighted in the Push Governance v2 post here.

Proposals are plugged into the Snapshot as votes. Votes are any proposals that are plugged into the Push Snapshot after passing through all governance phases.

Here’s an example.

What’s the timeline for votes?

Votes begin as ideas, which then become proposals. An idea is suggested on the forum and discussed for a minimum of a week unless it is proven that we have a timeline that requires a tighter discussion period. Votes can only be fast-tracked by a 4/5 consensus reached by the Push DAO Council.

This is rare and only possible when the idea is a partnership, event, or collaboration that has to happen on a specific week or day because of a conference, a key Push product launch, or something similar. In the case of Push Product launches, urgency can be confirmed through the Push Foundation.

In most cases, the DAO Lead on the Council is the typical one to reach out to the Foundation for upcoming launches.

After the discussion period of the idea passes, it can be formalized into a proposal.

A proposal is then posted and discussed for 7 days minimum, during which all community members are free to share their thoughts. The creator/s of the proposal can implement community feedback during this time.

A poll is then initiated which follows the temperature check process mentioned in the documentation for PIPs. A poll is initiated with the options, “FOR,” “AGAINST,” and “ABSTAIN.”

When and if 5 “YES” votes are achieved, the proposal moves to a vote. If the proposal fails to achieve 5 YES votes, it fails.

Votes are scheduled with 72 hours lead time from scheduling to start unless this is deemed expressly impossible by the consensus of the DAO’s council in a second temperature check.

Here, consensus means at least 4 out of 5 members voting that a proposal needs to go to a vote in less than 72 hours. This second temperature check can occur with time-sensitive partnerships, time-sensitive event participation, and fund movements to cover emergencies as well as any other matter that the council deems urgent with a 4/5 vote done publicly via a poll.

Votes must run for 5 days, meaning 9 am EST (13:00 UTC) on the first day to 5 pm EST (21:00 UTC) on the fourth day. This time period is chosen to accommodate as many time zones as possible.

What is Quorum?

The quorum for all Push DAO votes is defined as 1% of the circulating supply of PUSH tokens. When votes do not achieve a quorum, they are rescheduled for a second round upon request by the author. This rule will be altered as the community sees fit as the DAO scales.

As of now, a quorum is approximately 603,651.25 votes (April 2024).

When does a vote pass/fail?

Votes pass when they achieve a quorum equal to or more than 1% of the circulating supply of PUSH tokens. Votes fail when fail to achieve quorum as a threshold.

How do I activate my PUSH voting power?

Any PUSH token holder with an interest in being involved in the present and future of the ecosystem’s governance can choose to delegate “to myself” to have the ability to vote.

Delegating “to myself” means turning on your voting capability. You can also delegate to others, which means you will give your voting power to another community member or wallet, but you will still keep all of your PUSH tokens.

To start doing so, head here to the Push Governance Dashboard.

When you see the above on your screen, ensure your wallet with your PUSH in it is connected by clicking in the upper-right-hand corner. Then click “Delegate to Myself” if you want to activate voting power on the connected wallet. Or you can delegate your voting power to a different wallet or community member by choosing “Delegate to Others”. Follow the prompts until it is indicated that your voting power is active. You can double-check this by returning to the above screen and clicking “Query Voting Power.”

If you hold more than 100 PUSH, you can delegate for free(without gas, gas-less).

You should also be sure to delegate before the snapshot of the vote you want to participate in if you want your voting power reflected in an upcoming vote. That means if the vote will be posted at 8 AM EST on a Monday with voting beginning at 9 AM EST, then you should have delegated your PUSH before 8 AM EST on that Monday.

How do I delegate PUSH voting power?

Suppose you’re involved in the Push ecosystem as a builder, ambassador, investor, or any other kind of Push enthusiast and you do not believe you have the time to actively participate in voting. In that case, you can delegate your stake to the wallet address of another community member who participates in Push Governance through the DAO.

Click “Delegate to Others,” then type the address of the individual in question.

Once you’ve done so, follow the prompts until it is indicated your stake has been delegated.

You can double-check this by returning to the above screen and clicking “Query Voting Power.”

If you hold more than 100 PUSH, you can delegate for free(without gas, gas-less).

You should also be sure to delegate before the snapshot of the vote you want to participate in if you want your voting power reflected in an upcoming vote. That means if the vote will be posted at 8 AM EST on a Thursday with voting beginning at 9 AM EST, then you should have delegated your PUSH before 8 AM EST on that Thursday.

What if I have a multi-sig, can I vote?

Multi-sigs can also vote. The same process above applies for multi-sigs, in this case, you will select “Delegate to Myself” while connected to the Push dapp. If you would like to delegate to a different wallet or community member, just click “Delegate to Others,” then type the address of the individual in question.

You should also be sure to delegate before the snapshot of the vote you want to participate in if you want your voting power reflected in an upcoming vote. That means if the vote will be posted at 8 AM EST on a Thursday with voting beginning at 9 AM EST, then you should have delegated your PUSH before 8 AM EST on that Thursday.

Can I vote on Polygon?

Right now, voting is only enabled on the Ethereum network.

We will update everyone when and if that changes.

How do we change voting processes?

We vote to change processes. Changing processes requires every council member to signal in favor of doing so, in addition to over a quorum of total votes(over 1%).

3 Likes