1 - Name: TalentLayer
2 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3 - About You:
We’re 6 core team members full-time and 8 active open-source contributors (10 of us are devs). We know gig marketplaces - all team members have spent years freelancing/hiring freelancers - we have felt the problem we’re solving first-hand.
Kirsten, Executive Lead 8 yrs in marketplace and infra startups, 4 years in blockchain governance and infra, self-taught dev, led major international IEEE open-source research initiatives
Romain, Technical Lead: 6 years as CTO of Europe’s biggest sports data infra, 4 years as anon solidity dev, multiple web 2 marketplace and plugin startups
4 - Project TL:DR
Today’s labor markets are siloed. This causes problems for users who can’t access liquidity for jobs/workers and issues for platforms that struggle with the chicken-and-egg problem. TalentLayer’s protocol provides tools for creating interoperable work marketplaces; including escrow, jobs and proposals, identity, and cross-platform messaging.
5 - Proposal Category
6 - Project Overview
Today’s labor market is siloed. Platforms like Upwork, Uber, and Thumbtack struggle with the chicken and egg problem. Users are forced to use many platforms because they can’t find enough work or people to hire on just one. These silos have led to…
- Low liquidity in the labor market. Silos fragment the job market and make it harder for users to find the best-fit match.
- Segregated user reputation. Hirers and workers never know the full story of their counterparty. This hurts searchability.
- Centralization of power in platforms. Users’ reputations are owned by the platform. Users can lose everything by being de-platformed.
What is TalentLayer?
Talentlayer is a composable infrastructure for open labor markets.
- Interoperable backend components for labor marketplace platforms
- Pooled liquidity for jobs and users (allows user and work sharing across platforms)
- A new economic model for marketplaces based on fee splitting
How does it work?
- Configurable smart contracts that handle Escrow, Dispute Resolution, Jobs and Proposals, and Identity/Reviews and integrations such as cross-platform messaging
- An SDK that allows easy integration
- Pooled liquidity is facilitated via platforms writing and querying searches from the protocol level: e.g. Hirer on Toptal searches “engineer” - sees worker profiles that originated from Upwork/other markets. That hirer can fulfill a complete work engagement with these users that use other platforms.
Where are we now?
TalentLayer is live today. We have 6 marketplaces committed to deploy with our tools in 2023, one marketplace live on testnet, and two launching in Q1 2023.
We have all core components built except messaging right now.
Why Push Protocol?
TalentLayer needs to provide our marketplace builders with tools to allow hirers and workers from different platforms to message with one another. Push Protocol enables this by providing wallet-to-wallet communication in an elegant way. We have two platforms that need to go live on Polygon in Q1 2023 and we will provide them with a plugin tool for work messaging that leverages Push Protocol. In addition to messaging, Push also allows us to easily display messages that originate from any platform on the platform an individual user is operating on. These are essential UX needs that we’re excited to fulfill with Push.
Our proposal is to enable marketplaces building on TalentLayer to be able to have cross-platform messaging - allowing hirers from one platform to interface with users on another platform and vice-versa. This will be done by building and documenting the TalentLayer Work Platform Messaging Plugin - another open-source tool in our toolkit!
We will be able to engineer and document this messaging integration by end of January in alignment with our project milestones - see below for specific steps to each milestone. We will have our senior engineer Quentin managing most of the integration with support from our technical lead Romain and other team members working on Documentation. Kirsten will work on the publicity of the integration before and after release and help the marketplace building on TalentLayer implement the new tool. 100% of this grant will go to paying TalentLayer’s open-source contributors.
7 - Value Proposition to Push Protocol
Since TalentLayer is developer tooling, by supporting our engineering, you support many builders who are using our tools now and who will use our tools in the future.
With building our native messaging plugin with Push Protocol, the two marketplaces launching on TalentLayer Polygon in Q1 2023 will by association be also integrating Push Protocol.
This is just the beginning! We have two additional marketplaces planning to launch on Polygon in late 2023 - as TalentLayer grows, more and more platforms will be leveraging Push through our toolkit.
8 - Funding Requested
9 - Milestones
Milestone A: Develop TalentLayer Work Platform Messaging Plugin
Timeline: January Week 1 and 2, 2023
Objective: Engineer the backend and fork-able frontend code for our messaging plugin.
Amount: 20,250 PUSH
- Make an integration with Push messaging. Add configurations and features that are required for work marketplaces, like displaying only messages that are work-related.
- Notifications integration; enable push notifications for messages that come in and for updates that happen relating to job posts.
- Make fork-able code snippets - integrate these into our existing fork-able demo DAPP
Milestone B: Develop Documentation & Integration Guides for TalentLayer Work Platform Messaging Plugin
Timeline: January Week 2 and 3, 2023
Objective: Document our new messaging plugin. Make it easy enough for a marketplace building on us to set up in under an hour.
Amount: 20,250 PUSH
- Write docs for the messaging plugin with the example code embedded
- Make a “how-to” guide for integrating messaging with details on different configurations you can do
Ongoing: Engineering Support for Marketplaces Building on TalentLayer
Objective: Provide technical support on the messaging plugin, helping marketplaces building on TalentLayer integrate it seamlessly into their platforms.
10 - Wallet Address
11 - Relevant Links & Attachments
Documentation: https:// docs. talentlayer. org
Website: https:// talentlayer. org
Twitter: https:// twitter. com/TalentLayer
Github: https:// github. com/TalentLayer/
12 - Referral